Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A year ago, now...

Last year, sometime around this time i was so blissfully far away. Our mad impromptu trip to Goa. My yearly pilgrimage to pay homage to the beaches and breathe in the salt and soak in the sea.

I had ended up in Pune on work and stayed with Pavi at the Symbiosis campus in the girls hostel, sneaking in and out of campus like i was a student there. Three days of city travails and i told her we could do something over the weekend. I had landed on Wednesday morning and had to start back Sunday evening. I had work on the day i arrived and on Friday. Thursday was off, so we roamed the streets of Koregaon park and shopped and ate and shopped some more. We went to the German cafe for some mind blowing iced tea.

The free Saturday called for a plan. I asked Pavi if we could go someplace and she said Goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and I said lets go! We had to get back Sunday morning, so we booked tickets for Friday night and return tickets for Saturday night. We had just one day to spend in Goa and we reaches on Saturday morning.

I roamed the beaches, got scorched by the sun kisses, allowed myself to be dragged into every store that my darlin Pavi, her highness chose to step into. Spent more time shopping than on the beach. Scandalized the hotel guys and the uncle at the reception by turning up alone with no boys. Two women in Goa alone, well not something the folks there digest easily. He asked us if we were alone and where our boyfriends were like ten times over. We checked in and showered and dressed in Goa calling skimpiness.

This was Pavi's first visit to Goa and my umpteenth. So, we set out on our Goa stint. I knew the place like the back of my hand. We had a riverside breakfast by the Panjim river and crossed over in the ferry to Betim. I had stayed in one of the pretty Verem villas one one of my many trips. We went over to Calangute, then Baga and the first thing madam did was SHOP! She had lost it and she dragged me on and i went playing along valiantly.

A lazy lunch was what we desired, but we were forced to get ourselves out of two restaurants. It really is not a smart idea to be just two women all alone in Goa. We were leered at and leched at and out of disgust we went away looking for a place away from the ogling men. We managed to find a shack that was empty and we trooped in hungry. After beach walks and sand castles, we befriended a Japanese girl who was on a backpacking trip across India. Then after some more shopping and beer for Pavi, we started back. We returned to the hotel, showered and left. We walked the quaint streets of Panjim and went to the church and finished dinner and got back into the bus.

I wanted to show Pavi all of north and south Goa and get her to the fort and the other beaches. I had gone on dolphin cruises and i had water sported before in all the beaches, Anjuna, Cocoa, name it and i had done it. Goa is like the storybook fairy tale i enter and i feel so good about being there. I like Goa when there are lesser people and the beaches are empty. A packed goa with the mad parties is enjoyable only when the sunburn happens. I hope i can make it to the noise this year.

To Goa and to missing it. To the one day stint i managed and to Pavi...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=55832&id=586307422&l=2046daf122

No comments:

Post a Comment