Thursday, November 12, 2009

Vertical vs Horizontal

The idea of vertical versus horizontal. I shall explain that in a bit. The iced tea conversation turned into a tequila monologue of sorts. We sat there talking about men and women and how there is an 8:1 ratio of single men to single women. He had written this brilliant piece with vectors and triangles and we spoke about the cornerstones of the triangle.

Su and I go a long way back, the best of friends, through BMS and Joseph’s, through Prague and school and work, to films and full night conversations, we lived it all. I was the cul sec for Joseph’s then and Su was working for Utsav, the BMSCE cultural festival. Well, we thought we had registered and then realized calling in with confirmation was not registration. I was fuming, my teams had put in hours of practice and Joseph’s teams had an Utsav history, we always won.

It was a communication gap, which led to my hyperventilating over the phone to one of the coordinators, this boy found it impossible to deal with me. He conveniently passed on an enraged me into the hands of poor unsuspecting Su. It started then I messaged back to apologize for having lost my temper and he actually let us participate.

Su sounded great on the phone and I was looking forward to meeting him after a weeklong conversation over texts and calls. I was stunned to see a little boy in a wine coloured Kurta with a beard meet me, I had my glasses on so I am sure both of us were stunned by each other’s appearances. Su is one of mum’s favourites and my aunt seems to have a soft corner for him too. His disappointment lies in the fact that all mothers like him and it ends there, the daughters apparently are not so interested. Well, we just grew from there and are now the best of friends although there are times when we do not see eye to eye and he teases me for being so self involved. All in good spirits.

Coming back to the conversation today, it was Su and iced tea at Casablanka and it was his piece of nonfiction I was reading. We spoke about how height had become a huge impact factor for women here in India as they did not have a keen interest in boys slightly shorter than themselves. Su might disagree and say they do not have an interest at all, but that’s that. So, height racism as I want to call it, for lack of a better word, is something that plays a huge role in categorizing a suitable male for the average Indian woman.

Su says it is only in India the women have this notion that the men have to be taller than they are. Well, maybe so. He also says the women have a mind block and they associate more to the height of a man than it appears, well I’ll just try illustrating it:



He says hypothetically length or height of figure need not necessarily be related to figure b. ;) Therefore, the joke, the vertical versus the horizontal relation.

Here is the piece of art that Su boy wrote that led to the whole thought:
http://rapidshare.com/files/306064386/The_triangle_paradox.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment